Friday, September 7, 2012

I'm easily amused

So our amazing mule, George, picked up some items I sent him in SD, brought them to Mexico, shipped them from FedEx and they're coming here.  I had our mail service send them on August 30th, he picked them up on Sept 4th and flew here.  I've been obsessively checking the status and all day it has shown that it was at FedEx in Toluca.  George was sure the package would get here by Monday but watching no movement since 11:19 this morning I had grave doubts, assuming it would be a long trip by truck.  HOWEVER, it appears FedEx operates by plane here!  I think I've been in-country too long as I (naturally?) assumed everything travels by truck.  However, it is nice to see that even FedEx adheres to the normal 2 pm to 4 pm siesta as evidenced by tonight's status:

Sep 7, 2012 5:07 PM En la estación de FedEx local CANCUN, MX
Sep 7, 2012 4:07 PM Excepción de entrega CANCUN MX Negocio cerrado - no se intentó
Sep 7, 2012 1:19 PM En estación de clasificación de destino CANCUN MX
Sep 7, 2012 11:19 AM El paquete llegó a las instalaciones de FedEx TOLUCA MX
Sep 7, 2012 11:19 AM Salió de la estación de FedEx TOLUCA MX
Sep 7, 2012 2:55 AM Salió de la estación de FedEx TOLUCA MX
Sep 6, 2012 9:49 PM El paquete llegó a las instalaciones de FedEx SAN LUIS POTOSI MX

Getting packages/mail here is like Christmas time.  We NEVER get mail - mail just doesn't work in this country - so we don't try.  When I import with Merkalink or get a mule to bring stuff down it is such an incredible treat.  So thanks to George and Ebay, I have a present for Ellen and some new running shoes for myself.  Oh, and maybe the mail also.  Not sure.  I've also been tracking 2 packages I Merkalinked in.  One took forever because I had to "convince" them to bring in used clothing and while I got the stuff off Ebay eons ago, it only arrived at Merkalink August 20th.  We spent about a week hashing out details of used clothing and then made the bank deposit (payment for services) and on 8/27 they finally began the import process.  I swear that package took longer to go through import than any package we've imported before.  Course, so did the other (new stuff) so maybe they got a slow guy that day.  IIRC, it took 3-4 days to go through importation but we finally have movement.  Estafeta shows that while it left Laredo, TX on 4 September, it took 3 days to get to San Luis Potosi from there and today hit SLP.  Pretty sure Estafeta does not fly.  Not sure when to expect it, but this is Sissy's birthday present, so of course it is late.  I have hopes to see the packages by the end of next week.  That would only be a month since they got to the importer.  And that is the FAST option here!  See why we prefer mules? 

1 comment:

  1. WTF. I just found that you are posting here. Had this bookmarked eons ago but never subscribed like a dweeb. Hope you keep updating doooooode!!