Thursday, March 2, 2006

Wanted: Good mojo


Well, today I took the van Obregon (I found that the locals call it “Obregon” and not “Ciudad Obregon” so I feel like such a native calling it that) to see if we could get the ball rolling. The Ford dealership there was a very impressive, professional, meticulously clean operation. Not at all like any of the taller mechanico shops you find all over. I know that will translate to higher prices and I really hope it translates to a FIXED car. I so wish we could have taken it to a taller, but we really think it is electrical and we need some computer to reset the codes anyway, and Jamie really really wanted it taken to the dealership so off I headed this morning. It wouldn’t start for the longest time and I was glad that we’re finally able to get something going. It was about a two hour trip to Obregon with many many topes. I managed to skirt the toll booth along with about 1/4 of the road traffic. Some enterprising locals setup a road to skirt the tollbooth; much dirt and rocks and no pavement but also no deep sand, and charged only 5 pesos to traverse their road. There were big 18wheel trucks all over so I figured I could do it too and it saved us some 50 pesos.

The dealership was full up for today and he suggested I leave it there for the night and they’d get to it first thing in the morning. I was really concerned that I wouldn’t be able to make it back to the beach AND Obregon the next day; the van was running so roughly, that I decided on the spot to do just that. I took a bus to Huatabampo, got off at the supermercado and shopped and shopped. I figured it might be a while before we can get to a store again. I then found a barely running taxi; I was seriously concerned that it wouldn’t make the 15 kilometer trip to Huatabampito, but magically it did, and I’m back again, jiggety jig. Now we just need some seriously good mojo to get the van back on the road. It is weird being without any transportation AND no way to move the trailer. It is quite disconcerting.

No comments:

Post a Comment